Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Etsy Feature Seller:: *TagYourIt*


Blog * Feature of the Day * TagYourIt * Etsy Seller


My name is Cathy Clark and I live in the Western Suburbs of Chicago (Downers Grove, IL).
I am a single parent of two kid's, a daughter Courtney who is a Junior at UIC and a son Corey who is a Senior in HS.

My store web address is http://www.tagyourit.etsy.com/ and http://www.catscraps.etsy.com/. I tried blogging but unforunately I'm not computer savy nor do I have the time to commit to a blog.
My favorite color combination would be anything with brown i.e. brown/robin eggs blue, brown/pink, etc.

The first item I ever remember making was Barbie furniture out of match boxes and strawberry crates, etc. Then the infamous hotpads and loop rugs! When I was younger, kids had to use their imagination because either their parents didn't have the money or the things that are available today weren't available then. I remember winning an art contest when I was in 4th grade at a local grocery store and someone else claimed the first prize. My mom marched up there and raised heck with them and eventually they gave me my prize which was a paint set. I have always been interested in some form of art.




What inspires me are a couple of things; a)my mother (who passed away 4 years ago. She was the artistic one in the family! Sewing, museum quality embroidery, knitting, crocheting, anything she tried, she was the best at. She always told me that if you are going to sell anything be consistent and you are your own worst critic. b) my kids; this is my therapy and a reason for me to stay up late at night waiting for them to come home safely.

My ideas come from the paper, the ribbons, the buttons, etc. They set the mood for the perfect card. The atmosphere doesn't affect my work. I work out of my dining room, and there are French doors with alot of lighting. Of course, I like working in the daylight better but unfortunately working full time out of the home doesn't always allow for this.

My favorite materials of course, are paper, ribbons, and buttons. Any embellishment really! I am honored when someone buys my cards!

With all the talented artists at Etsy to chose from, I am honored that someone would chose me, but at the same time I know they are getting a quality keepsake! The same tip that my mother gave me, I give to others; be consistent in your work, believe in your product, never undersell yourself, and good communication with your customers. Treat them the way you wish to be treated.

People should buy handmade because the item they purchase is one that was made with love, and a passion and that is reflected in their art.

I work full-time as an office manager for a high-end cosmetic dental office. Things I have learned from other Etsyians a) promote, promote, promote!

Right now, I am working on my Back to School, Fall, Halloween and Christmas line of paper products! Which seems strange to me because it is 93 degrees outside!

In 10 years, my kids will be finished with college and have their own lives which means, I will have some extra space to finally have the studio that I have been dreaming of. I am hoping by then I will be able to quit my full-time job and concentrate on nothing but scrapping! This is my love and my passion and I love to share it with others! I failed to mention that I have handcrafted greeting cards, gift/hang tags in TagYourIt and paperbag scrapbook albums and other altered art in CatScraps.

Please visit her shop at www.tagyourit.etsy.com

No comments:

Copyright PinkIce Jewels 2003-2019