Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sygnet Creations...Etsy Weekly Featured Seller


Tell us a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff).
My name is Amanda. I currently live in the Panhandle of Florida. I am a mom of 4 children and wife to a military man. I have been a Stay at home mom for the majority of motherhood. I enjoy my children and wanted to give a little more to my family so I decided to start selling a craft I have been doing for friends and family for years. I make blankets and other fabric creations but more importantly I like to take each individual's personality and let it play center stage in each item I make!

What is your etsy shop address and name? http://sygnetcreations.etsy.com/
What is your favorite color combination?
I don't really have a favorite color but I tend to lean towards red, black and blue.

What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?
Oh my favorite was a baby blanket I made for my old neighbor. She was having a baby and really loved the outdoors. I bought some beautiful quilting fabric and made a soft brown and yellowish blanket. When I gave it to her I had no idea that the fabric I had chosen matched her baby's decor almost perfectly. It was a wonderful feeling and she sent me a personal thank you expressing how much it meant to her to have a homemade blanket that had so much heart into every stitch!


What inspires you?

Where do your ideas come from?

My children inspire a lot of what I make. The travel pillows I make came from many long trips with my kids and watching my daughter's neck just flop around. She looked so uncomfortable so I decided to take the boppy concept and shrink it down to a size that could support a child's neck. The ideas for new creations sometimes come from customers wanting something but not knowing how to create it. Those are my favorite to make!

Does the atmosphere affect your creativity?
Yes very much so. If I am having a bad day I don't touch the machine. I can't work when I can't prepare each item with happiness. I know that seems silly but why make a blanket with anger or stress when it can be made with true love and creative spirit.

Where do you create, in a workroom/ studio or in a park?
I have a small room off my kitchen that I use to house my fabric and store products I have created. I have a corner nook and use it as my sewing table. It is quite nice if I don't say so myself.

What are your favorite materials?
I do love working with flannel, faux fur and satin. They are just beautiful fabric and make each creation so soft and cozy.

What is your favorite thing to do with your creativity?
Gifts. I love to give gifts of items I have made. It is just a great feeling.

Why should people buy handmade?
Someone's hands have tweaked, stitched, threaded, and nurtured a creation until it is so perfect that it has to be shared. Nothing is better than that!

Any tips of wisdom on selling handmade stuff?
Put your heart into it. If you truly love what you do, Do it well and express it to everyone who sees your work. Not only will they see just how lovely your stuff really is but they feel the goodness in your craft.

Apart from creating things, what do you do?
Raise 4 beautiful children, run a household, bowl on a league, and get together with other military families to unwind. Just to name a few!

What have been the most valuable lessons learned from other artists on Etsy?
Pictures, pictures, pictures. They are the most important thing you can do to show off your skill. A bad picture can turn off a potential customer and make your items seem of lesser quality.

Read any good books lately?
Not really, I don't have a lot of time to sit down and read a book. I do get a lot of reading from great etsy blogs and forums.

Any other links or information you want to share?
Another Friendly Etsy Shop I just love and want to get the word out because her stuff is just awesome and workmanship is to die for! http://sexyskins.etsy.com/

Do you have any current projects that you want to describe, techniques to share, give picture of?
I recently made an all purpose cloth which is stitched in a tri-fold pattern. Very durable and soft.

In ten years I'd like to be . . . Comfortable. . . I don't want to be rich and famous I just want to keep selling my blankets and crafts. I love making them. I would like to have my own shop inside and old Victorian house. I would want every room to have a theme and invite other artistic people to buy space and sell their goods. This is my ultimate goal in life.


Her are spme Etsy shop item numbers from her store.
6631225, 6638550, 6631546, 6766485

No comments:

Copyright PinkIce Jewels 2003-2019